Sunday 4 March 2012

Made to Measure Gloves From The UK

Early this winther when the cold started to set in I figured it was about time I got a new set of proper fitting gloves. Because of my slim hands with long fingers I have always had problems finding gloves with a good fit. Therefore I had already done a bit of casual research on bespoke gloves and found Chester Jefferies to offer an easy and cheap option.
You simply trace your hands on a piece of paper, mail it to them and pay a one-time fee of £20 to have them have them make a bespoke pair and store the pattern for future orders.
So I spend the good part of a minute on drawing an outline of both my hands and mailed it over to England. And started waiting.
A few weeks passed without a word when I suddenly got a call. The gloves were done; ready for shipping.
The photos below show the second pair. Yes, I had to return the first pair with some fitting problems. I actually half expected that. It takes more than just one drawing to get completely right.
The next pair however was not quite there yet, but I chose to keep it to evaluate thorough. A really good plan was it not for the fact that I managed to loose them on the bus just when I was about to feel confident about what to have changed.
The model I chose is a classic officer's glove, in an eyecatching yet classic color called old gold on the site. The leather is nice and soft and the crafting is fine, but nothing special - the stitching is a bit uneven in places. I had them lined in cashmere and they were very warm thogh really sleek.
I bought them as an evaluation pair before I would place an order on one of the finer hand made models, but it really buggers me to have lost them.

Chester Jefferies gloves

Chester Jefferies gloves

Chester Jefferies gloves

2 comments:

  1. In the picture with your hand in the glove only the fit looks trim. What about it do you think you were going to change?

    http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/2012_02_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fingers were too short causing the webbing between the thumb and index finger to stretch and restrict movements.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...